Friday, October 21, 2011
We received the book entitled The Clerks Guide printed in 1672 from Special Collections to preform some restoration work on it in the Preservation Lab. The front board was detached, the endbands were missing, the back endsheets were lacking, the front few pages were loose and the spine was badly damaged.
The images above show some of the work in progress. The left side shows the process of lifting the original leather spine. The right side shows the book in the finishing press after all of the old glue was removed and the spine consolidated with new paste.
To finish the work, the loose pages were reattached, boards were restored and reattached, new two color silk endbands were hand sewn onto the head and tail of the text block, the spine was replaced with new leather, old spine remounted and a new fly leaf in the back was added.
Friday, July 1, 2011
Recently we had an interesting book from the circulation collection come through the preservation lab. It was a book filled with beautiful Ukiyo-e prints from the Japanese printmaker Hokusai.
Once upon a time it had a beautiful binding with Japanese silk bookcloth, but the binding had seen better days and it was time for it to get a new case.
This book is not your typical book because it was produced in the traditional Japanese bookbinding style. Instead of having single leaves - called folios - that make up a signature, it was made in the accordion style with Japanese side sewing.
This book (NE1325.K3 M47) among other books on Hokusai can be found in the general collections housed on the fourth floor in the Tower. To read more about Japanese bookbinding methods there is an excellent book in Special Collections entitled “Japanese Bookbinding” by Kosanji Ikegami (Z270.J3 I3713 1986). Also if you are interested in seeing some Japanese prints there is an exhibit currently at the Weatherspoon Art Museum.
Tuesday, May 24, 2011
Monday, April 18, 2011
First thing we did to the diploma was humidify it so it would relax and flatten out. Once humidified, we let it dry under pressure between blotters for a few days.
Where there was insect damage that was unstable we mended with Japanese paper and paste.
To keep the diploma flat and to protect it we created a custom enclosure to house it in. Once finished we took it back to Special Collections and University Archives where it now resides once again.